Tattoo art servicing is no different than any other type of service. You first pay the tattoo artist the decided price of the service and then you are expected to top it up with a tip. It is meant to reward the tattoo artist for his/ her dedication and the time given to you. This is not mandatory to tip your tattoo artist. However, it is more about the etiquette of tattoo body art which is always advised to follow.
It has become a norm these days and the tattoo artists also expect to be tipped after they are done with their tattoo procedure. The question that arises here in the minds of novice tattoo buffs is that how much they should tip the tattoo artist? There are a lot of different opinions about what a good or bad tip is in this regard. We will try to prove things logically in this guide.
Why Should I Tip my Tattoo Artist?
The information shared at the start made it quite clear that why you should tip your tattoo artist. It is incredibly crucial these days. Here, we will discuss that how much you should pay the tattoo artist. You surely don’t need to tip the tattoo artist for doing some permanent work on your body.
But, it is a normal rule in the tattoo world and associated with its etiquette which the tattoo buffs must follow. It helps when you are particularly looking to develop good bonding with the tattoo artist and for ensuring even better service in future projects. If you are not tipping your tattoo service provider then you are just considered rude.
our next project if you regard the tattoo artist wee The tipping rules actually could be highly complicated and it involves a lot of factors. It comes to the consideration of how long it took for the procedure to get completed. It could also be about the placement and the complexity of the chosen design.
It is important to estimate the efforts of the tattoo artists which will help you to determine that how much tip should be a good reward. The following pointers will make you understand that what goes in for getting body art from a professional tattoo artist and how much effort it requires:
- If you have opted to go for a custom design then it requires a lot of effort and creativity of the artist. This is in comparison to the templated or regular designs which require quite fewer efforts
- The usual tattoo designs take hours to get completed with all the layouts, drawings, and the selection of the color scheme.
- The tattoo supplies are purchased by the tattoo artists themselves.
- Professional tattoo artists take responsibility for their work as they will be doing something which will stay on your body permanently.
- The artists are required to dedicatedly work on your design in one or more sessions. It all depends upon the complexity of the design and the size of the tattoo.
How much should I tip my tattoo artist?
Tipping for all the above services given with great dedication and professionalism will be a good way to appreciate their good work and expertise. Tipping is one way of developing a bond with the tattoo artist. You might get a discount on your overall tattoo cost for your next project if you regard the tattoo artist well with the tip.
It is important to understand that almost all of the service-based industries have tipped as a norm and sign of appreciation. Tattooing is no different.
Now coming back to the main agenda that how must you could pay the tattoo artist as a tip. It is generally believed that you should pay 10% of the total price if you are satisfied with the service and there was nothing exceptional. If you are extremely happy with the tattoo service then a good tip should be at least 20% of the total price. It means that for a tattoo price of $200, you should pay $40 as a tip. It could be anything upward which you may afford to pay.
Therefore, it is also advised to consider tips when you are budgeting for your next tattoo project. A good way is to always consider the tip as part of the total cost which you should pay happily and not something to be obligatory. In most places, tattoo artists are not paid on an hourly basis. Rather, they are given a certain percentage of the total price. This makes them highly dependent on tips to make their livelihood.
Some of the factors that could help in determining the total tip to be given to the tattoo artist are as given below:
- Considering that the design used was original or copied
- Determining the size of the tattoo or if it is big or small
- Counting on the number of sessions it took in completing the tattoo design
- Evaluating if your tattoo design was intricate and complicate or not
- Checking about the placement of the tattoo on the body which could be complicated or simpler
- If the tattoo requires any sort of extra detailing and coloring
Tattoo art is a very specialized work and the tattoo artist doing this marvelous work needs to be highly appreciated. Apart from verbal appreciation, they also deserve to be tipped. Tipping the tattoo artists is not mandatory but it is part of the etiquette.
It is believed to be a great way of supporting their art which motivates them to go well beyond their call of duty when you visit them again for another round of body art.
You must follow the instructions given above in the guide about how much you should tip your tattoo artist. Normally, it is not nice to ask the tattoo artist how much to tip. If you had a good experience but not exceptional then you should think about paying 10% of the total bill. If your experience was exceptional then pay 20% as the tip of your total bill.